Using the txtUs 2-way Text Messaging feature
Using txtUs dedicated virtual mobile numbers for your business
A txtUs number gives your business a dedicated virtual mobile number which people can text (but cannot call) enquiries to or to reply to messages you send out to them from your system.
You can add as many txtUs numbers to your account as you wish and they can each have bespoke settings which can be a great solution for a small office environment or call centre where each member of staff could have their own txtUs number for their clients.
The unique advantage of the txtUs system is that the full conversation between you and each mobile number is sent to you via email and you simply reply via email. In essence, to answer the ‘how does it work?” question …. exactly like your email does. The only difference being of course that your replies are being sent out the customer as text messages.
Step 1 – Adding a txtUs number to your account
Login to your account. If you don’t have an account, you can set one up here.
Click the Purchase button at the top right of the system and choose a reply number in the pop up box. You can now buy your txtUs number paying by card or you can generate an invoice to pay by BACS.
An invoice will be generated for each subscription period and emailed to you – you can also pay this by card in your account or by BACS. Your subscription may be cancelled at any time by simply choosing the unsusbcribe option in the financials section. This will then remove the number from your account at the end of the current subscription period and will not issue any further invoices.
Step 2 – Applying the settings for your txtUs number
Go to “Message Control” and then highlight your number and click configure in the top menu.
- Auto reply by SMS settings – If you would like to automatically send a text message back when somebody texts your txtUs number, you can set it here. Simply change active to ‘Y’, enter your text message and press submit.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The text autoresponse is only sent once to any individual mobile number, the first time they text in. This is to avoid them receiving the same autoresponse message over and over if you get into a conversation with them.
- Reply settings – This is where you set how your system handles the text conversations you have via email;
- Active – set to N if you do not wish to have incoming texts emailed to you
- E-mail – set the email address you wish incoming texts to go to.
- Thread Count – This is the amount of history you want included on each conversation email. For example, if you wanted to see the last 5 messages from a person and the last 5 replies you sent them you would set it to 10.
- Use as Sender default – enable this if you want your txtUs number to be the default reply number for text messages you send out from your system
- Advanced (API) settings – only used for programmers to deliver incoming message data to a script URL. Please leave this inactive unless you are sure of what you’re doing.
Step 3 – Testing your new txtUs number / Seeing a conversation in action
Send a text message to your new txtUs number then, if enabled, check your email inbox on the email address you have set (if it doesn’t come pretty instantly, check any spam filters or folders you may have enabled). You will see you have a new message from yourself.
Now reply to that email in the normal way (as you would an email). The only difference being you must end the message you send back with ##. This tells our system that it’s the end of the reply and so doesn’t send all the history contained in the email below.
You will then receive the reply on your phone. If you reply back again, check your email again you will now see the conversation thread developing.
Below is a conversation thread email for example from a company confirming a meeting:
You can also see the name of the person texting in if they are in your Address Book.
Step 4 – Promoting your new txtUs number
Congratulations! Now you are a text enabled business and you can promote your number as you would your telephone number, fax number or email address. See how we do on our enquiries page. As a customer, you are free to use the txtUs logo next to your number which adds impact and encourages use.
Other Common Questions
Getting replies from text campaigns
To enable people to reply to you, you simply have to set the Sender ID as your txtUs number. When you have a txtUs number your account will automatically do this as the default, which you can change if you wish.
You are only charged for messages you send out, not for incoming messages. The cost of this is just 1 credit per 160 characters as per normal charges.
- Text Marketer short code / txtUs API options
Introduction The keyword on your system (on short code 88802) or your txtUs number can be used to “route” incoming...
- Reply by email to incoming SMS. Have a ‘text conversation’ by email.
A great new feature added to Text Marketer accounts today. If you have a keyword on your account and receive...
- Combining Email with SMS as a communication tool
One of the issues with using SMS as a communication medium from a commercial stand point is that it’s very difficult to...
- How to use the Text Marketer Text Response system Using Short Code 88802
Introduction This article explains how to use the incoming text feature or shortcode SMS part of your Text Marketer account....
- New Concatenated Bulk SMS Text Message feature due to be released
A few months ago we conducted customer research asking if a ‘concatenated text message’ or ‘long message’ (the ability to send...
- NEW! Text to Email Autoresponder
We are please to announce the launch of our text to email autoresponder system. This allows you automatically respond by...
- How to send Single or Bulk Text Messages using your Email Program
Most of us are used to sending one or many emails but this is how to use your email program...
- Top 5 reasons to set up a short code text messaging service
Allowing people to enquire to your company by text message is simply one the most powerful additions to your mobile...
- Extract name and email address from Text Message autoresponses using Excel
When using a text message response mechanic it is often good to ask for a name and an email address...
- Email-to-SMS Gateway service from Text Marketer
Please note that this blog page has been superseded with http://www.textmarketer.co.uk/developers/sms-email-gateway.htm Our email-to-SMS service provides a simple way for you to send...