Text Marketer accounts are set to send to UK mobile numbers only by default.
If you wish to enable your account for non-UK numbers, please contact us with your account company name and account number.
Can I send Text Messages to any country once my account is enabled for international?
If only life was so simple!
Different countries have different rules about SMS that originates from a system (in other words Bulk SMS systems – even if it is 1 message – compared to phone to phone SMS’s).
For example, some countries won’t allow SMS’s that have alphanumerics in the Sender ID. Some will strip it out and replace it with a number, others won’t deliver it at all.
To complicate matters, some networks around the world will also change their policies without notice or even historical notification of the change!
The general rules of international SMS coverage via your Text Marketer account;
- UK – Guaranteed delivery if the number is live & valid and the phone is switched on & has coverage (exceptions may apply where certain smartphones use SMS blocker software).
- EUROPE – There are no known restrictions with Sender ID’s at this time. All European countries are currently OK.
- USA – Because of the legacy of the networks’ pricing models in the US, currently only around 60-70% of messages would arrive on a US handset. The main reason for this is that some people still have to pay to receive messages! To be able to send to these people you have to have a US shortcode and comply with their laws because of course you are technically charging people to receive your SMS. Text Marketer don’t provide a US shortcode service.
- INDIA & BANGLADESH – There have been massive law changes and bans in India of late with Bulk SMS. At the current time we would say to avoid relying on SMS being delivered in India or Bangladesh – although intermittently, it may be OK.
- REST OF THE WORLD – We have no reported restrictions at this time on other countries but we would advise testing if you have a specific country you’re interested in. Consider the fact that some countries do not allow alphanumerics in the Sender ID so if it doesn’t work, try your reply number as the Sender ID.
- We will update this area if we are advised of any changes.
What’s the difference?
The main difference is cost. Non-UK networks charge ‘interconnect fees’ to deliver your message (as they are separate companies). This means that each message to a non-UK mobile number will cost double the amount of credits shown in the credit counter on your account.
Even though it is ‘double credits’, because of our incredibly low prices per credit, this means Text Marketer are still one of the cheapest international SMS gateways available.
Formatting international mobile numbers
If sending to non-UK mobile numbers (in an internationally-enabled Text Marketer account), you must ensure that you enter the number in full international GSM format, including the country code.
In most countries mobile numbers start with a zero and the easiest way to remember international formatting is “replace the zero with the country code” (you don’t need any + sign before the number).
Here are a few examples:
UK – 07657345987 becomes 447657345987
DENMARK – 024215712 becomes 4524215712
NEW ZELAND – 0211238815 becomes 64211238815
AUSTRALIA – 0211238815 becomes 61211238815
Does it affect sending to UK numbers?
No. Your account will work out which numbers are UK and which aren’t and charge you accordingly.
To enable your account for international mobile numbers, please contact us with the company name of your Text Marketer account to request the change.
- How to use the Text Marketer Text Response system Using Short Code 88802
Introduction This article explains how to use the incoming text feature or shortcode SMS part of your Text Marketer account....
- Email-to-SMS Gateway service from Text Marketer
Please note that this blog page has been superseded with http://www.textmarketer.co.uk/developers/sms-email-gateway.htm Our email-to-SMS service provides a simple way for you to send...
- Concatenated “Long Message” SMS feature now Live for the Bulk SMS system and the SMS Gateway
You can now send text messages longer than 160 characters, in fact up to 612 characters which arrive as 1...
- Using the txtUs email to SMS Text Messaging feature
Using txtUs dedicated virtual mobile numbers for your business A txtUs number gives your business a dedicated virtual mobile number...
- Supported and Unsupported characters in Text Messages – GSM Character Set
When constructing the message for your SMS Marketing campaign you should be aware that not all characters are supported by...
- How can you benefit from our free SMS keyword and shortcode text response system?
Ever seen a TV Ad’ that says, “Text BROCHURE to 69888 for more details”? Why do they do this instead...
- New Concatenated Bulk SMS Text Message feature due to be released
A few months ago we conducted customer research asking if a ‘concatenated text message’ or ‘long message’ (the ability to send...
- Is there such a thing as ‘quality’ in Bulk SMS?
There are a vast number of different gateways that bulk sms service providers can use to connect to the UK...
- How to send a Personalised / Merge Text Message
This article shows you how to use the merge function in our text messaging application. This is useful when you want...
- How to send Single or Bulk Text Messages using your Email Program
Most of us are used to sending one or many emails but this is how to use your email program...