At Text Marketer we talk a lot about SMS, we have blogs on how it works wonders for all different types of businesses, how to get the most out of SMS, along with loads of more blogs all around the subject of SMS and how it helps businesses grow.
We have had great response to these blogs, from businesses emailing us thanking us for helping them, but we also know that sometimes you just want to relax and have a bit of fun.
And that is exactly what we have done – below is a list of 10 fun SMS facts that we hope you enjoy.
1. The very first message sent was in the UK in 1992 and read “Merry Christmas”. The receiver didn’t even reply, well he couldn’t because his phone didn’t have any way of inputting text – talk about a great reason to not reply. (The Week)
2. Texting has now become so popular that a whopping 90% of adults aged between 26-35 would prefer to send text messages to friends than meet up and have a conversation. (Mobile Commons)
3. Want to know the number of text messages the average smartphone user between 18 and 24 sends and receives every month? 4,000 – that’s around 8 messages every hour when awake. (MarketingCharts)
4. Do you remember the old Nokia beep? Well that was Morse code for SMS. (Newlaunches)
5. The fastest text message ever typed was done in 18.19 seconds and read – “The razor-toothed piranhas of the genera Serrasalmus and Pygocentrus are the most ferocious freshwater fish in the world. In reality they seldom attack a human.” – how fast can you text that? (Guinness World Records)
6. Text messaging is the most popular form of communication. (Independent)
7. The peak time for sending a text message is between 10.30pm and 11.00pm. (Strange But True)
8. 8.3 trillion text messages are sent worldwide every year, that’s around 23 billion a day, and about 270,000 messages every second. (OneReach)
9. Back in 2002 the first contest to allow voting by text was the Eurovision song contest. (Express)
10. Women spend more time on their mobile phones and send more text messages than men. (Cellular News)
We hope you enjoyed those 10 SMS facts and if you want to know more about SMS please read our post on the history of SMS, it includes a fact about texting cows.
- Does SMS marketing still work in today’s modern world?
SMS has been around for more than 25 years and because of its versatility, it is a core part of...
- Technology nostalgia – texting animals
As you all know, we love texting, sending texts, receiving text, even just looking at texts. It’s like we get...
- SMS Reminder Alerts Reduce ‘no shows’ by 70%
No-shows can be incredibly costly for businesses and organisations who make appointments with their customers. Hair salons, restaurants, doctors, dentists...
- Text message enquiry system reduces costs and increases enquiries
RoughTrax, one of the leading independent suppliers of 4×4 Toyota parts, recently integrated the text message enquiry and reply system...
- 10 Mobile Marketing Statistics – Infographic
Here are just some stats and facts about Mobile Marketing that you might find interesting and surprising. For example did...
- Examples of how to use our Email to SMS Text Gateway
Ever thought about how to use Email to Text? Businesses up and down the land send millions of notifications per...
- Reply by email to incoming SMS. Have a ‘text conversation’ by email.
A great new feature added to Text Marketer accounts today. If you have a keyword on your account and receive...
- How and why businesses can use SMS to communicate better with their employees
We aren’t going to start this post by going into the whole, “SMS has a 98% open rate whilst email...